Whisky Retreat III
The third Whisky Retreat was held in the reading room at
(Italy) beginning in the
morning of the 22nd (WE) until the the afternoon of the 24th (FR) of
Here and here
you can read the past announcements
for the meeting. You could register by writing an email to
Frank Löffler, but now it is rather pointless.
We have been also able to support some participants by
paying (parts of) their tickets and/or hotel costs. You should have
indicated this to Frank Löffler. Thanks
for this support have to go to
The aim was, like in the previous
to obtain an overview of the current
work on and with Whisky and in particular to discuss about the future of its
development. There was a very loose program, made out of a list of
suggestions of the participants. At the start of the meeting the following
items have been mentioned. Note that this schedule changed during the meeting
and those changes are not reflected here.
We started with administration/politics issues:
After this was sorted out, we turned more towards the code/physics:
- We: Arrangement handling (stable / development)
- We: Licence/Usage permissions/Politics
- We: Webpage
- We: 15:30 Luciano Rezzolla:"Collapse of compact objects"
- Th: 09:00 Bruno Giacomazzo:
"The WhiskyMHD code: current status and future applications"
- Th: 09:45 Radiation transport and Whisky
- Th: 10:00 Problems / possibilities of mesh refinement and Whisky
(vertex vs. cell centered, ect.)
- Th: 10:45 Higher-order hydro (>2nd order)
- Th: 11:15 coffee break
- Th: 11:45 Frank Löffler: Mixed Binaries
- Th: 15:00 Comparison with other codes
- Wolfgang Kastaun: "Pizza vs. Whisky"
- Harald Dimmelmeier: "CocoNut vs. Whisky"
- Th: 15:45 coffee break
- Th: 16:00 external Seminar
- Fr: 09:00 Split of Whisky (the base thorn)
- Fr: 09:15 Gian Mario Manca: "Dynamical instabilities
of rapidly rotating neutron stars"
- Fr: 10:00 Thosten Kellermann: "2D with Whisky"
- Fr: 11:00 coffee break
- Fr: Wave extraction
- 11:30 Andrea Passamonti:
"Quadrupole corrections of the wave extraction for rotating stars"
- 15:00 Alessandro Nagar: "What is wrong in wave extraction and how
to improve it?"
- Fr: 15:30 Pedro Montero: "Magnetised Tori"
- Fr: 16:00 coffee break
- Fr: 16:30 open discussion
We usually started at 09:30
in the morning with a coffee break at 11:00, had a lunch break sometimes around
13:00, a cofee break at 16:00 and stopped whenever we thought we finished for
The list of participants was:
|Name||arrival date||departure date
|Andrea Passamonti ||21.11.||25.11.
|Alessandro Nagar ||23.11.||26.11.
|Bruno Giacomazzo ||
|Ernazar Abdikamalov ||21.11.||24.11.
|Frank Löffler ||
|Gian Mario Manca ||21.11.||24.11.
|Giovanni Corvino ||21.11.||24.11.
|Harald Dimmelmeier ||21.11.||24.11.
|Ian Hawke ||21.11.||24.11.
||by video conference|
|John Miller ||
|Luca Baiotti ||21.11.||26.11.
|Luciano Rezzolla ||
|Pedro Montero ||
|Roberto De Pietri ||21.11.||24.11.
|Wolfgang Kastaun ||21.11.||25.11.
It was already known that the following people could not come:
Below are some links to pages explaining how to reach Sissa (or ICTP, which
is right besides Sissa). The meeting took place in the reading room
of the library at Sissa. The library is at the 1st floor and you could find
the reading room at the back of it.